Friday, November 2, 2012

Hurricane Stew

In the last few days, with only the generator to power the house, I've had to get creative with our meal preparations. Since the oven/stove is not available, I have the microwave and my slow-cooker to work with (they can easily be plugged into an extension cord).  Yesterday I decided to make a hearty vegetable stew to warm our bellies:)  I had to choose ingredients that I had on hand in the pantry, and that could just be thrown into the slow-cooker and didn't require any pre-prep on the stove.

Hurricane Stew

2 butternut squash (Peeled and cubed)
1 14oz can of low sodium chicken broth
1 can of organic, whole leaf spinach
1 can canellini beans
2 cups chopped celery
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
1/2 cup of pre-cooked bacon, chopped into 1/2" pcs
1/2 tsp of sea salt
1 tsp of crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp of ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp crushed garlic
2 tbs Parmesan cheese for sprinkling on top when serving

I literally just put all of the ingredients together into the slow-cooker and cooked it on High for about 3 hours, then reduced the temp to Low and cooked for an additional 2 hours.

I also saved the "butt" ends of squash, cleaned and dried to use as little serving bowls:)  


This was a delicious, mildly spicy, stew that really did the trick for us on a chilly night. Needless to say there was plenty left over for lunches:) I would definitely make this again, hurricane or not...



Follow me on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate your comments! Even if it's just to say hi!