Friday, September 27, 2013

Happy Fingers

Guess what!? I learned how to knit!
My Grandma had taught me how to do it when I was little, maybe 11 or 12, on a camping trip. That was years ago, and much to my frustration, I found I couldn't remember how do it.
Nick's Grandma is an amazing knitter and crocheter as well, so while she was in town this week she kindly sat down with me for a couple of hours. She taught me a basic purl, and how to do it the way her mother had taught her. A technique that no one else would ever teach, she said, but that had always worked for her. It was perfect. The way she showed me how to hold the needles and to wrap my yarn came easily, and I was able to make pretty little purls with out feeling clumsy. I felt like this was something special to know, thinking of her own mother patiently showing her when she was young. 

I had bought two different types of cozy looking yarn. I ended up choosing the thinner one to begin, the pale grey wool with flecks of cream. It felt like yarn from a rolling-hills sheep farm in Ireland somewhere. I don't know, I love it. I chose shiny teal needles that slip easily around the yarn and each other...

Here is the start of my first scarf... so excited! 
I love learning things this way, having a memory to go with a skill. Passing things along through the family...My dad taught me the proper way to hold a hammer and how to sand wood going WITH the grain. My mama, among many other things, taught me to sew. My own Grandmother spent hours sharing her paints with me.  Now I can properly hold two knitting needles and make a basic scarf, thank you Grandma Riley:)

Have a wonderful weekend! Xo

FOLLOW ME ON BLOGLOVIN!



7 comments:

  1. I love knitting, it's so so relaxing once you've got the hang of it! x

    holljc.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! My ultimate goal is to be able to do it by feel:) Then I can watch tv at night while I do it;)

      Delete
  2. This is such a sweet story. I know haow to knit as well...and I use to do it all the time, only I would never actually ever finish anything...lol, kinda silly I guess. Good luck with your scarf.

    xo
    LesliMarie
    www.linenandtulle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's just the process right? Who cares if you don't finish;)Xo

      Delete
  3. Your stitches are so even! Alas, I could never get my rows to look neat. I had better luck with crochet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, there are a few holes and such but I've excused them since this my first attempt;) I'm definitely going to give crochet a try next, I hear it goes a bit faster and is favored by most.

      Delete
  4. Lovely! I learned some knitting basics a few years ago and I fall in and out of it. I love the repetition and how even the most simple movements can create beautiful things. Have fun!

    The Rambling Fangirl

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate your comments! Even if it's just to say hi!