Monday, March 18, 2013

Silk-Dyed Eggs


How pretty are these guys? I decided to gie silk dying a shot this week and am really loving the final product. I made these eggs by wrapping them in colorful bits of silk which, after boiled, leaves the most beautiful patterns on the eggs! 
This was really simple to do. Just take small squares of bold print silk (I used some deconstructed men's ties and some silk scarves, be sure to check tag for 100%Silk) and wrap them tightly around the eggs. Position your gathered closure on either the "pointy end" of the egg for egg-cup display, or on one of the long sides if you'll be laying them down in a basket. Place all of your bundled eggs at the bottom of a glass or ceramic pot and cover with water. Add 1/4 cup of white vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow the eggs to simmer for 20mins ( a bit longer if you plan on eating them afterwards). When they are done, use tongs to remove them, and place them in a colander to cool. Here's the part where I could barely wait..trying to stare them into cooling faster so I could open them up!! When they are cooled, carefully unwrap the silk and admire the magic;) If you'd like a little shine to your eggs you can rub them down with a bit of vegetable oil.
I was so thrilled at how well they turned out. I also love that they worked on my multi-toned fresh eggs (thanks to my papa and his hens, we usually have free range eggs!) I did have one pattern that didn't turn out..it was too pale of a fabric. The darker blues and purples, as well as the hot fuchsia color, came out best. It's funny, it was almost like the uglier and more obnoxious the tie/scarf was, the better the egg turned out!
Have you ever tried this? It was a lot of fun, and almost no mess. I will definitely be doing this again!
XO

9 comments:

  1. We loveeee this! Totally getting us in the mood for Easter and Spring!

    ox from NYC!
    davie+erica

    LPFashionPhilosophy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks davie and erica! I know:) I'm beyond ready for spring here too!
      xo

      Delete
  2. How do you think of all this , Sarah? Amazing! I might even try it with some of the ties in this house that need to go away. (no names mentioned!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I can't take credit for the idea, people have been doing this for years, but it was such a cool process I had to try it! Oh yes, this is an excellent excuse to "weed out" old ties when no one is looking;)
      Xo

      Delete
  3. I would love to try that! Would it ruin the scarves, though?!

    Amanda Rose
    http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should Amanda! Yes, whatever fabric you use should be something you don't care about, it won't be usable afterwards (smells like vinegar too;) I picked up some scarves from our local thrift store and used some hand-me-down ties, and ties I had gotten on clearance at Kohls recently. Definitely don't use anything you don't want to ruin, plus they will need to be cut into small squares to wrap the eggs...
      Hope this helps!
      Xo

      Delete
  4. That is such an awesome idea. I am definitely trying this for Easter

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate your comments! Even if it's just to say hi!