Thursday, July 25, 2013

Watercolor Lace

 I think most of us really enjoy taking something old or cast-off and giving it a new purpose. I feel like pillowcases get the short end of the stick sometimes, especially boring old white ones. I found an old, plain white, decorative pillowcase that needed a face lift. I also had some super cheap white lace place-mats from the dollar store! 
I'm in a colorful mood this week, so I decided to bring a little fun to all that plain white. Why not watercolor the lace?? Here's how I did it:
You will need: Piece of plain white lace (could be a place-mat like this, a doily, a runner....), a set of watercolor paints, small paint brushes, water and newspaper or craft paper to work on.
Start Painting! I like to start in the middle and work my way out. I made sure that my brush was nice and wet with water and paint so it soaked into the material. You can go over your color with additional strokes of paint to create darker sections giving it that watercolor feel.

Keep going until you're done! I liked leaving a bit of the white showing in some areas too... 
I let my lace fully dry and then stitched it onto my (ironed) pillowcase. (I used my machine and stitched along the inside square..the blue line, so that it would have frilly edges)

I had so much fun with this! It sort of felt like a grown-up coloring book:) I love my new pillow too, definitely more cheery, wouldn't you say?
Xo!

(Ps. This is for decorative purposes only, this will not be machine washable.)


Follow me on Bloglovin!

6 comments:

I always appreciate your comments! Even if it's just to say hi!