Friday, August 21, 2015

Tomato, Fig, & Gorgonzola Tart


It's tomato season!  We've got some beautiful tomatoes growing in the garden, we grew some gorgeous heirlooms this year that have a dark purple almost black flush to them.  I needed a dish to bring to my Aunt's annual "Tomato Fest" so I thought up this quick Tomato, Fig, & Gorgonzola Tart.  The best part is, I used a ready made pie crust so this literally came together in about 10 minutes.
Tomato, Fig, & Gorgonzola Tart

- 3 large (or 1 large and 3 small ) fresh tomatoes
- 6 fresh figs
- 1 ready-made pie crust
- 1 cup crumbled gorgonzola (feta or goat cheese would work nicely as well)

Preheat Oven to 375.  Slice tomatoes about 1/4 inch think and spread on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 5-10mins or until bubbly (juice running out onto pan) and slightly browned.  Meanwhile, slice figs in 1/4 inch slices. 
Prepare pie crust by laying flat on an oven-safe pan or dish.  Arrange cooked tomato slices and raw fig slices in a spiral pattern (tomato, fig, tomato, fig etc.) on top of  the pie crust leaving about an inch in from the edge free all around.  Sprinkle with the gorgonzola and fold the edges of the crust up all around.  Bake for 10 minutes at 375 and then reduce the temp to 350 degrees for additional 20 mins or so, or until the crust is nicely browned.  Allow to cool and serve.  Works great cool the next day as well.



Since this was the only pie crust I had, and there was no way to taste test, I did the unthinkable.  I brought a dish to a party that I'd made up, and hadn't pretested! Much to my relief there was not a slice left in the dish by the end of the night so I guess it's safe to say it was a hit.  Someone made the suggestion that some caramelized onions would have been an awesome addition as well! Yum!

Did you grow any tomatoes this year?  What delicious things are you making with your home grown goodies?

 FOLLOW ATTIC LACE ON BLOGLOVIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate your comments! Even if it's just to say hi!