Tuesday, July 19, 2016

DIY Beeswax Bowl Covers

It has been SO hot here in New York these past few weeks.  During the warmer months, cold salads, fresh cut fruits, etc. are a must. The only problem is that I find myself turning to plastic wrap to cover bowls for the fridge (...boooo for plastic).  After falling in love with a beeswax sandwich wrap I was given at Christmas last year, I decided it was time to whip up some of these beeswax bowl covers I'd been seeing everywhere as an alternative to plastic wrap.

I couldn't believe how easy it actually was to make a set of these, the hardest part was choosing between all of the beautiful fabrics at the store.
You will need:

-Favorite bowls for tracing
-Cotton Fabric (tightest weave possible. Looser weaves, like linens, will not take the wax well.)
-Scissors
-All natural beeswax  - block to be grated, or pellets ( approx. 0.5oz per cover)
-Parchment paper
-Baking sheet & Oven
-Pinking shears

-Preheat oven to 185 Degrees-

Step 1: Gather your favorite bowls (the bowls you'll primarily want to use the covers on). I chose a small, medium, and large bowl from my kitchen. Next, iron your fabric to release wrinkles and creases. 

Step 2: Lay your fabric on a flat surface, good side down, and place your first bowl (face down) on top. You'll want the finished cover to be 1.5 - 2" larger than the bowl so that you can "wrap" it. Measure (or eyeball) about 2 inches out from the lip and trace. Now cut out your circle.

Step 3: Place your fabric circle onto a parchment lined baking sheet, pretty side up, and sprinkle with grated beeswax (or pellets if you chose them). 
***Here is where I found it most important to watch what I was doing.  You do not need a lot of wax.  I had the best results when I sprinkled it sparingly all over the fabric... sparingly but super EVENLY.  The key was definitely even spacing, making sure that the sprinkles were spaced all around circle - up to, but not off, of the edges (see photo below).  By the first one I started see what the perfect amount would be. You want the wax, upon curing, to be thin and sturdy.

Step 4:  Slide the tray into the oven and bake for about five minutes, or until the wax has liquefied. Once it has, immediately remove to a cool counter and allow to set.

Tip: If you notice that you missed a spot, simply add a tiny piece of wax and return to the oven.  Some people like to spread the melted wax with a paintbrush, I did not find the need to do this once I had the right amount of wax down pat, but you may want to try it.

Step 5: Remove from the parchment paper and trim the edge with the pinking shears and you're done!

Your cover will mold down around the edge of the bowl by the warmth of your hands.
Your bowl covers should last about 1 year with proper care. To wash, use mild soap (like castile, or diluted dish soap) and cool water.  Do not expose to heat or flame, do not run under hot water or the wax will begin to melt. Because they are heat intolerant, it is a good idea to keep them away from raw meats. 

The cloths can also be used for treats outside of a bowl, like wrapping a hunk of cheese or a sandwich!

"How will I store these when I'm not using them!?"


How to store your wraps:  Roll in a piece of clean dry parchment paper and store the rolls in a drawer ( maybe where you used to keep the plastic wrap! Wink, wink). Or, if you have the space, lay them out flat in a kitchen drawer.

























I hope that if you make these, you'll feel as successful and happy as I did.  This was one of those projects that was extremely pleasing, and I've already been using my covers like crazy here.  Enjoy!

FOLLOW ATTIC LACE ON BLOGLOVIN!



2 comments:

  1. Your post is providing some really good information. I liked its essence and enjoyed reading it. Keep sharing such important posts about this blog and its much more helpful for us . if you want know about Best Localboom so visit my website. best beeswax wraps

    ReplyDelete
  2. DIY beeswax bowl covers are a brilliant and sustainable alternative to plastic wraps. Is Real Game They showcase eco-consciousness and creativity, reducing single-use plastic waste while keeping food fresh.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate your comments! Even if it's just to say hi!