Monday, May 19, 2014

Laundry Room Reveal

Happy Monday! I'm so excited to share our new laundry room, finally!  This has definitely been the biggest project that Nick and I have tackled together.  We had a dungeon of a room in the basement that was just perfect for a laundry and semi-mudroom type of area.  We spent weeks working on it, most nights and a lot of weekends, but the end result was totally worth it. Doing laundry is a lot more fun when you're doing it in a clean, bright, and functional space!
As you can see the walls were cinder-block. The ceiling had this horrible press-board tacked all over it.  The top "before" photo above was taken after we'd ripped out the ceiling and moved all of the junk we were storing there. Thanks to Nick's talent and experience we were able to put a new ceiling in, frame and sheet rock the walls, level the floor, and put new plumbing and electrical in.  Nick did a beautiful job saving that neat 3-pane window for me, framing it out and adding a sill and a new piece of glass.
Our must-haves included an area to hang coats and leave shoes (the door on the back wall leads in from the back yard and is perfect for coming in after yard work or for bringing fresh flowers in to prep in the slop sink), a few shelves for storage, a rack for hanging  items to air-dry, and the sink next to the washer.  We spent a long time discussing the floor, which was plain cement.  We ended up giving it two coats of basement/garage floor paint, in matte "Dover Gray".  I couldn't be happier. It's a calming color and is a cinch to clean.
Completion of this epic project was super exciting to me. I was kind of in awe of the fact that we had created a finished room from basically nothing, and a pretty room at that!  Nick does this all the time for his 9-5, but to have worked along side him and to have created this space together was pretty cool.  It's awesome to have partner who has the skills and know-how to do all of this stuff. 
I had a lot of fun choosing small decor items too, of course, (this was a real treat at the end) and really enjoyed making the little custom "laundry art triptych" that hangs over the washer/dryer. I'll share more about the wall art soon (free printable maybe??)  

Have you tackled any huge projects that have left you feeling super proud lately? I'd love to hear about it!

FOLLOW ATTIC LACE ON BLOGLOVIN!


10 comments:

  1. Wow!! Looks amazing, can't wait to see in person. -jpc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JP!! Can't wait to show ya, I'll save a basket of laundry for you... to test it out;) just kidding:)

      Delete
  2. What an amazing transformation! Having a nice Laundry room would be such a luxury. If I ever re-do mine I hope it would look half as nice as yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali!! It was so much fun to go back and look at the before and after images. Thank you for your sweet words Xo

      Delete
  3. Finally!! But it was worth the wait to see the results :) Who ever thought a laundry room could be such an oasis of calm. Beautiful photos, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Lisa, it was the little odds and ends that took the longest of course! Thank you so much, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed looking:)

      Delete
  4. This is unbelievable! Oh my gosh. I love the light in the space and just...wow. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this is beautiful! You two did an amazing job. It makes me want to redo my basement laundry room area so badly - mine looks like your before photos and it's not pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! we have the same washing machine...so funny. If we ever finish our bathroom I want to do a laundry room next.
    xo
    LesliMarie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was reading some of your content on this website and I conceive this internet site is really informative ! Keep on putting up. Attic Self Storage Marylebone

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate your comments! Even if it's just to say hi!